Spaceflight Industries (Spaceflight) announced today that it has been contracted to deliver three integrated avionics suites based on its 100-Series avionics architecture for a Geosynchronous spacecraft application.
The contract with an undisclosed customer covers the design and delivery of one Engineering Development Unit (EDU) and two flight units. The avionics suite includes the Spaceflight Model 160 High Performance Flight Computer, the Model 140 Communications Card, the Model 130 Electrical Power System controller, the Model 120 Instrumentation Card, and the Model 110 Valve Driver Card.
In addition to these avionic elements Spaceflight has been contracted to deliver one EDU and two flight units of a 236 W-Hr lithium ion battery that will interface with the avionics suite and provide spacecraft power.
“This contract is a validation of the 100-Series capabilities and price point for enabling a new set of low-cost spacecraft missions,” said Jason Spaceflight, President and CEO of Spaceflight Industries. “This avionics suite includes nearly all elements of our 100-Series offering.”
Spaceflight has been developing an integrated suite of CubeSat form-factor cards that conform to the 10×10 cm cross section of the CubeSat standard. This avionics suite features a high performance flight computer, subsystem controller, communications card, instrumentation card, motor / valve driver board and an electrical power system.
Each of the 100-Series cards is interconnected via a stackable back plane bus, and cards can be combined to address a wide range of applications from high performance nanosat command and data handling systems to stand-alone subsystem controllers.
The 100-Series cards use industrial components but feature several radiation mitigation and protection features to support space missions up to three years in duration. Specific card features include:
– Spaceflight Model 160 Flight Computer: Dual 400MHz PPC with 64MB of SDRAM and 2GB of Flash memory, camera interface ports, Linux operating system.
– Spaceflight Model 150 CubeSat Flight Computer / Subsystem Controller: 100MHz processor with 512KB of SDRAM, three torque rod drivers, supports GPS daughter card.
– Spaceflight Model 140 Communication Card: 1553B Interface, two power over Ethernet interfaces, WiFi / BlueTooth.
– Spaceflight Model 130 Electrical Power System: Integrated unit featuring 75W-Hr Lithium Ion battery, solar array charge circuits, battery charge circuits, provides bus power.
– Spaceflight Model 120 Instrumentation Card: Supports interfacing with up to 24 remote sensors (pressure transducers, temp sensors, etc.).
– Spaceflight Model 110 Motor / Valve Driver Card: Support the actuation of four brushless DC motors or actuation of twelve valves.
“With this award Spaceflight is under contract to deliver six 100-Series based avionics suites to customers in 2012,” continued Spaceflight.